Hi everyone and thank you for reading Exterior and Interior Painting Specialists blog!
As part of our “New Chapter” here with our company, we are GOING GREEN! As always we use Sherwin-Williams products so on our blog today that is who we will be talking about! Almost all of our products have little to no VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) in them!
When people hear us talking about VOC the most common subject to come up is the smell; while yes- paint with no VOC does not have an odor, that is not the only risk!
Health effects may include:
- Eye, nose and throat irritation
- Headaches, loss of coordination and nausea
- Damage to liver, kidney and central nervous system
- Some organics can cause cancer in animals, some are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans.
Key signs or symptoms associated with exposure to VOCs include:
- conjunctival irritation
- nose and throat discomfort
- a headache
- allergic skin reaction
- declines in serum cholinesterase levels
Steps to Reduce Exposure
- Increase ventilation when using products that emit VOCs.
- Meet or exceed any label precautions.
- Do not store opened containers of unused paints and similar materials within the school.
- Formaldehyde, one of the best known VOCs, is one of the few indoor air pollutants that can be readily measured.
- Identify, and if possible, remove the source.
- If not possible to remove, reduce exposure by using a sealant on all exposed surfaces of paneling and other furnishings.
- Use integrated pest management techniques to reduce the need for pesticides.
- Use household products according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Make sure you provide plenty of fresh air when using these products.
- Throw away unused or little-used containers safely; buy in quantities that you will use soon.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Never mix household care products unless directed on the label.
Links to Sherwin-Williams low VOC program-
- Green Programs and VOC Regulated Areas Specifications
- Download our Green Programs and VOC Coatings Reference Guide (PDF)
- Download a map of VOC Regulated Locations (PDF)
- Download a table of VOC Limits for Coatings by Regulated Area (PDF)
- Download our Products Contributing Toward Satisfying LEED® v4 Requirements (PDF
Thank you again for reading Exterior and Interior Painting Specialists blog and STAY TUNED!!! We will add more information weekly to keep you and your family safe when it comes to remodeling!!!!