Hi everyone and thank you for reading Exterior and Interior Painting Specialists blog!
As part of our “New Chapter” here with our company, we are GOING GREEN! As always we use Sherwin-Williams products so on our blog today that is who we will be talking about! Almost all of our products have little to no VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) in them!
When people hear us talking about VOC the most common subject to come up is the smell; while yes- paint with VOC has an odor, that is not the only risk!
Health effects may include:
- Eye, nose and throat irritation
- Headaches, loss of coordination and nausea
- Damage to liver, kidney and central nervous system
- Some organics can cause cancer in animals, some are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans.
Key signs or symptoms associated with exposure to VOCs include:
- conjunctival irritation
- nose and throat discomfort
- a headache
- allergic skin reaction
- declines in serum cholinesterase levels
Steps to Reduce Exposure
- Increase ventilation when using products that emit VOCs.
- Meet or exceed any label precautions.
- Do not store opened containers of unused paints and similar materials anywhere people are around often.
- Identify, and if possible, remove all sources.
- If not possible to remove, reduce exposure by using a sealant on all exposed surfaces of paneling and other furnishings.
- Read directions on all house hold cleaners
- Make sure you provide plenty of fresh air when using these products.
- Throw away unused or little-used containers safely; buy in quantities that you will use soon.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Never mix household care products unless directed on the label.
Links to Sherwin-Williams low VOC program-
- Green Programs and VOC Regulated Areas Specifications
- Download our Green Programs and VOC Coatings Reference Guide (PDF)
- Download a map of VOC Regulated Locations (PDF)
- Download a table of VOC Limits for Coatings by Regulated Area (PDF)
- Download our Products Contributing Toward Satisfying LEED® v4 Requirements (PDF
Thank you again for reading Exterior and Interior Painting Specialists blog and STAY TUNED!!! We will add more information weekly to keep you and your family safe when it comes to remodeling!!!!
VOCs harm the planet, the environment, and anyone who comes into contact with the noxious gases. Exposure can lead to long lasting effects, even death from too much exposure. These gases combined all over are extremely dangerous to people and the environment!
Low VOC products have little to no harsh chemicals so they do not harm the people around it or the environment. It is a safe, healthy alternative that still gives you the same great, new look you and your home deserve!